Thursday, April 9, 2009

HolyThursday ~ Maundy Thursday

Maundy ~ comes from the Latin word mandatum or command.

At the Last Supper Jesus did more that just share a meal with his followers.
He shared symbolic teachings and gestures to nourish them in ways they could not understand.

When he took the bread he blessed it, broke it and distributed it - explaining that this was his body. Then he passed them a cup, telling them that this was his blood that would be poured out for the forgiveness of sins.

He then gave his followers a commandment. (Maundy)

JOHN 13:34-35

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

Before he was arrested Jesus washed the disciples feet and illustrated the kind of love he spoke of. His words and actions illustrate to us amazing humility and the spirit of servanthood.

I give thanks for these examples and pray I live, love and serve with greater faithfulness...oh that I would love him with my life!


I LOVE YOU WITH MY LIFE

Written and Sung By: Bryan Duncan


Jesus here I pray - On my knees before You.
I live for you today because I do adore you.

I will not be afraid - Only watch and pray to see your glad return.
I'll put my trust in you until my life is completed.
To all as unto you - believing what all You have stated.
I want to live in peace - in spite of tribulation - until You come again.

Please know that I love You and I will stay by Your side.
Worship You in spirit - Dear Lord be my guide.
Don't let me suffer long - cause You have suffered for me.

I love you with my life.


ROMANS 12:9 - 12
Love must be sincere.
Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.
Never be lacking zeal, but keep your spiritual fevor, serving the Lord.
Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Share with God's people who are in need.
Practice hospitality.
v. 21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good!

2 comments:

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

Just got home from our service a bit ago....so powerful and such a reminder of why we celebrate on Sunday. :)

Wendy Blight said...

Vern,

Thank you for this precious lesson on Maundy Thursday. In all these years I have lived and gone to church, I never knew what it meant. How precious this post is!! And what a call to us to LOVE one another...not just a call as you taught...a command.

Are you coming to She Speaks this year???!! Always LOVE to see you...and not just cuz of your great jewelry.

Blessings,

Wendy

PINK Hope & Love T-Shirt

PINK Hope & Love T-Shirt
T-shirt sales help with PINK Hope & Love cancer ministry efforts - Thank you for your continued support!
Adult sizes 100% cotton